Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio - The Truth About America's Toughest Sheriff HOME
JOIN MAILING LIST
Arpaio
Arpaios on his way out Arpaio Blog Fight Against Arpaio
THE TRUE ARPAIO STORY BLOOD ON ARPAIO'S HANDS THE TRUTH ON ARPAIO
Arpaio
 FAQForum Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The trials of Tom Bearup: Joe Arpaio's former right-hand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sheriff Joe Arpaio Forum Forum Index -> Arpaio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: The trials of Tom Bearup: Joe Arpaio's former right-hand Reply with quote

The trials of Tom Bearup: Joe Arpaio's former right-hand man tells all.
Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 09:07:00 AM
Phoenix New Times

Former MCSO honcho Tom Bearup with his wife Adele, from Brendan Joel Kelley's feature on him in the Anchorage Press.

From the mythical land of grizzly bears and sockeye salmon comes this gripping portrait of former Arpaio henchman turned Arpaio foe Tom Bearup, penned by ex-New Times writer Brendan Joel Kelley. You may remember Brendan for his music columns and for his New Times blog Ear Infection. Well, he's in Alaska now, working for the alternative weekly there, the Anchorage Press. Bearup, too, lives in Alaska now, which may be where we'll all have to move if Arpaio wins reelection once again.

Bearup, who's an ordained minister, is building a church and a home for unwed mothers in Soldotna, AK. In the profile, Bearup discusses how he helped Joe achieve and consolidate power, and how he eventually turned on Joe over the issue of the pink underwear money for the posse, as Joe refused to probe possible misuse of the money raised through the sale of the fuchsia boxers. He also breaks with Joe over the chilling demise of Scott Norberg in Joe's jails, a wrongful death which cost the county $8.25 million.

“I’m so embarrassed that I’ve ever had the relationship I had with Joe Arpaio, because I helped him get to where he’s at,” Bearup tells Kelley. “I think a lot of it was my credibility that got him to where he’s at, because people trusted me when I told them about him. ‘Don’t worry about that, he’s a little bit eccentric, but his heart is in the right place. He wants to do the right thing.’ And I know there was something in my heart that said maybe there’s something wrong there… the guy’s a little wacky in some areas...He became a monster. And that monster is not anything that I could be with.”

Bearup ended up running against Arpaio after leaving the MCSO. His opposition to Joe earned him retaliation in the form of wiretaps and being tailed by undercover deputies. Bearup and his wife Adele eventually gave up on AZ, heading north to AK, and freedom from fear.

But there's another, sadder part to Bearup's life, his son Patrick's involvement with neo-Nazi skinheads here in Sand Land and with the brutal 2002 skinhead slaying of 40-year-old Mark Mathes. Papa Bearup contends his son is innocent, but his son was convicted for his part in the killing, which according to testimony involved Patrick cutting Mathes' ring finger off while Mathes was still alive. Patrick is currently the only one on death row for the murder, though all parties agree he did not strike any of the fatal blows in Mathes' beating death. Two others involved copped pleas. Ringleader Sean Gaines is still awaiting trial.

I've read about Patrick's story before, and though he may not deserve to be on death row, it's hard to feel any sympathy for him. Bearup's die-hard belief in his son's innocence seems borne of a father's willful blindness more than reality.

Overall, Bearup comes across as a sympathetic though flawed character, and there are interesting insights here into Joe's oppressive reign. Kudos to Brendan for a job well done. I urge everyone to read it. Just follow the links above.
Coz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: The trials of Tom Bearup: Joe Arpaio's former right-hand Reply with quote

Through the Valley of Death

Tom Bearup’s been through hell—he fought a corrupt sheriff that he helped to elect, and suffered the wrath of the law enforcement administration he helped create; then his son was sentenced to death for a murder that Tom believes he’s innocent of. Now an ordained minister, he’s building a church and a home for unwed mothers in Soldotna, and praying he can help others to get to Heaven.

By Brendan Joel Kelley

Photos by Scott Moon

Tom Bearup’s journey through hell began with the pink underwear.

Along the way, Bearup’s been many things. He was the mayor of Soldotna. He was once right-hand man to the Arizona lawman who calls himself the toughest sheriff in America. He was a whistleblower who eventually took on that same sheriff. He was a politician who ran against his former boss twice and lost, suffering the legendarily vindictive sheriff’s wrath.

He’s also the father of a skinhead convicted of murder who now sits on Arizona’s death row.

And not least of all, Tom Bearup is a man of God—who God called back to Soldotna to build a church.

He and his wife of 32 years, Adele, sit at the dining room table in their modest house off the Sterling Highway, telling the story of how they ended up in Soldotna for the second time. This is Tom Bearup’s home now. But the Valley of Death he journeyed through on the way back to Soldotna begins in Phoenix, with the pink underwear.

It’s impossible to tell the story of the pink underwear—or the story of Tom Bearup—without telling the story of Joe Arpaio.

In 1992, Arpaio, a longtime DEA agent, was elected sheriff in Maricopa County, the largest in Arizona, which includes Phoenix and its suburbs. Bearup was raised in Phoenix, and besides having been a police officer in and mayor of Soldotna, he was a longtime Republican operative. He worked with the Reagan administration, and was once nominated to be the U.S. ambassador to South Korea. His reputation and connections helped Arpaio secure his position.

After Arpaio was elected, Bearup became an executive officer in the new sheriff’s office. He was Arpaio’s right hand man, the buffer between underlings and the big guy. He managed the sheriff’s publicity and media relations—no small task for a lawman obsessed with seeing himself on television. In the process, Bearup helped forge Arpaio’s mythic persona—that of “America’s Toughest Sheriff,” a title later made famous by a January 1996 profile in Penthouse magazine (and also the title of Arpaio’s 1996 book).

Arpaio is known for many things: his “Tent City” jail, constructed of Korean War-era tents on concrete in a city that’s temperature reaches more than 110 degrees for long stretches; male, female, and juvenile chain gangs; dressing inmates in stripes and feeding them green bologna; and, not least of all, inmates dying in his jails. In 1997 Amnesty International issued a condemnation of many of these practices.

“I’m so embarrassed that I’ve ever had the relationship I had with Joe Arpaio, because I helped him get to where he’s at,” confesses Bearup. “I think a lot of it was my credibility that got him to where he’s at, because people trusted me when I told them about him. ‘Don’t worry about that, he’s a little bit eccentric, but his heart is in the right place. He wants to do the right thing.’ And I know there was something in my heart that said maybe there’s something wrong there… the guy’s a little wacky in some areas.

“He became a monster. And that monster is not anything that I could be with.”

It was the pink underwear that finally made Bearup start taking his doubts seriously.

Among Arpaio’s many tough guy shenanigans, one of the most popular was making inmates—most of whom have not yet been convicted of a crime—wear pink underwear. The sheriff said it was because inmates were stealing the normal underwear from the jails. But the reality is that it was a successful publicity stunt. So successful, in fact, that the sheriff’s office started selling novelty pink underwear to the public in local shopping malls, ostensibly to finance the training and operations of the volunteer sheriff’s posses—another grab at the media’s attention.

David Hendershott—who later replaced Bearup as Arpaio’s most trusted aide and is still Arpaio’s Chief Deputy—was entrusted with large amounts of cash from those pink underwear sales. Then rumors began to circulate that some of the money had gone unaccounted for. Bearup didn’t know if money was missing, but the administration refused to investigate.

“I’m hearing that someone’s stealing some money,” Bearup remembers. “I’d tell you, ‘let’s get an investigation started. Let’s go down there and let the chips fall where they may.’ But [Arpaio’s] question was, ‘who told you?’ It doesn’t matter who told me. What matters is how are they stealing the money? We’re the cops. We’re the good guys. We throw people in jail for this. And yet, today, not an investigation has been done. Not one investigation.”

Then, in 1996, another incident deepened Bearup’s concerns. That year an inmate in the county jail, Scott Norberg, died in a restraint chair. It was Bearup who first informed Arpaio about the death. What he found when he looked into the incident disturbed him.

“I was told we never stunned him, that he had superhuman strength and was throwing these detention officers around. What happened was I found out we had stunned him in excess of 21 times. Even in the testicles.”

The sheriff’s office quickly exonerated itself of any wrongdoing, but Bearup knew better.

“We didn’t take the word of the detention officer that said we killed him. We took the word of the one that killed him. Joe didn’t want any negatives. When I found out the truth was different, they quit coming through me, and started going directly to the sheriff. This is really unusual—he’s supposed to be a last resort, like if we fire somebody. Then we commingled a criminal investigation with an internal affairs investigation, so how can we prosecute? With an internal investigation you have to tell us everything; [in] the criminal, you have a right to an attorney present. So we violated [the detention officer’s] rights from the beginning so nobody could ever be convicted.”

The incident was pivotal for Tom Bearup. He was losing his faith in the integrity of his own law enforcement office.

Norberg’s parents filed a lawsuit against Arpaio and his office, and the sheriff’s office settled for $8.25 million, one of the largest settlements involving taxpayer money in Arizona’s history. No criminal charges were ever filed.

“I left the sheriff’s office by my choice,” Tom Bearup says.

He quit his job on September 8, 1997, and soon after gave a deposition for a lawsuit against the sheriff’s office by Gary Josephson, a former employee suing over his termination.

In the deposition, given to Phoenix attorney Nick Hentoff, Bearup said that Arpaio was using his posses to raise funds for a campaign for governor (a campaign that never materialized), and that money from the sales of the novelty pink underwear wasn’t accounted for.

“[Arpaio] was angry,” Bearup says in the deposition. “He told me I was just jealous of Dave Hendershott…”

Not long afterward, what Bearup views as a campaign of retaliation began.

According to testimony from a former deputy in an unrelated lawsuit, not only was Bearup and his family under surveillance but their phone was tapped as well. (The allegations led to an FBI investigation, which proved inconclusive.)

In late April of 1999, Maricopa County detention officer David Cool sent a letter to then-county attorney Rick Romley, stating that David Hendershott had ordered him to produce a false memo stating that Tom Bearup was plotting to attack the sheriff’s office with explosives. “He wanted me to create a legal form, that would falsely accuse Tom Bearup of illegal activity,” Cool wrote, according to a Phoenix New Times story about Cool by Tony Ortega in May of 1999.

Cool had attended the Phoenix church where Tom Bearup lived and preached, and Hendershott quizzed Cool extensively about the goings on of the congregation, according to Cool’s letter. “When you went to church, did he say that I was Satan?” Cool says Hendershott asked him.

The answer was no, but the memo, entitled “Security Concerns,” alleging that Bearup’s son Patrick was stockpiling explosives (actually fertilizer for Patrick’s landscaping business) was written anyway. Cool’s letter to Romley blew the cover off of this farce.

Bearup went on to run unsuccessfully against Arpaio in both 2000 and 2004, despite Arpaio’s attempts to peg him as a criminal.

Bearup’s descriptions of Sheriff Arpaio’s alleged abuses of power both in his administration and against Bearup himself sound like the rantings of a disgruntled employee, unless you know Arpaio.

Several journalists in Phoenix contacted for this story declined to comment on the record, for fear of retaliation by the sheriff’s office. Stephen Lemons of Phoenix New Times—the largest alternative weekly newspaper in Arizona—wasn’t one of them.

“[Arpaio] certainly has a record of being vindictive towards anyone who’s crossed him,” Lemons says. “The so-called Selective Enforcement Unit—clandestine secret police who investigate perceived threats—arrested my bosses last October. The extent to which they’re willing to harass and get in the way of not only the press but anyone who criticizes them is well documented. It would be laughable if there wasn’t a threat behind it; It would seem paranoid and silly but these people have a lot of power. That kind of harassment of the press and political enemies never lets up. It’s well documented that his administration has a really strong vindictive streak.”

Arpaio, the county attorney Andrew Thomas, and a special prosecutor (since removed) named Dennis Wilenchik had Phoenix New Times founders Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin arrested last October for violating the secrecy of grand jury proceedings—a misdemeanor charge. The grand jury was investigating whether New Times had broken an arcane law prohibiting publicizing elected officials’ addresses on the Internet—the paper had printed Arpaio’s home address on its front page four years ago, and the same information was on the website (his address was also easily found on government websites). All charges and investigations of New Times were subsequently dropped after a nationwide outcry by fellow media outlets. A couple of weeks ago, New Times announced its intent to sue the county, the county attorney’s office, and Arpaio’s office for up to $90 million.

New Times has aggressively monitored and exposed Arpaio’s abuses of power since he came to office, so the move was widely viewed as retribution. (I spent most of the last dozen years writing for Phoenix New Times, and watched my colleagues there uncover those abuses.)

The Press tried to ask Arpaio about his relationship with Bearup, but his spokesperson, Lisa Allen MacPherson, said, “I know he won’t talk to you about that. It became contentious. He doesn’t have a lot of good things to say about Tom.”

Arpaio is currently running for re-election in Maricopa County.

Arpaio’s harassment was only the beginning of Tom Bearup’s troubles though.

His son Patrick was involved with a group of white supremacist skinheads in Phoenix—not the sort of publicity that a former cop and candidate for public office craves.

In 1997, Patrick and another skinhead, Josh Fiedler, fired 40 rounds at a black man and a Hispanic man fleeing in a car, and served two years in prison for assault. Tom Bearup officiated Fiedler’s wedding while he was incarcerated.

Tom Bearup maintains that his son wasn’t involved with white supremacists until that stint in prison. “Patrick was not an Aryan Brotherhood and at that point was not considered a white supremacist,” he says. He also says that Fiedler “seemed like a nice kid. He didn’t have tattoos and was bad looking or anything.”

According to Tom Bearup and his wife Adele’s account, they visited Patrick in prison and Patrick lifted up his shirt to show extensive bruises from the beatings he was taking. “Not one piece of white skin was on him. Underneath his clothing he’s black and blue.” He told his parents that he had to join the Aryans, and that when he got out of prison he’d have to send money to inmates’ families for rent, groceries, diapers, or whatever they needed.

Tom Bearup’s first wife had been Korean, and Patrick has two half-siblings that are half Korean. Tom says he told Patrick, “This is never going to be in my home. You were never raised that way and I’ll tell you what, you’re going to have to make a choice right now, it’s either this family or that family, one or the other.”

Patrick told his dad he didn’t know what he was asking, that they’d kill him if he tried to leave. Tom says that, with his assurances that he’d stand behind his son, Patrick eventually did break away from the skinheads after his release from prison. But this is where Tom and Adele Bearup’s version of events differs greatly from law enforcement and hate group investigators’ accounts.

In the Bearups’ version, the skinheads put a hit out on Patrick, and rather than actually killing him themselves they framed him and placed him at the scene of a murder that he had nothing to do with, sending him to death row and in effect letting the state kill Patrick instead of doing it themselves.

The following is the version of events according to law enforcement, the version that the jury found accurate when they convicted Patrick Bearup.

Jessica Nelson, a prominent skinhead in Phoenix, claimed that 40-year-old Mark Mathes had stolen money from her, and assembled a crew to remedy the situation. She called Sean Gaines, another notorious Phoenix skinhead, who rounded up Patrick Bearup and another man, Jeremy Johnson, who was a rookie, or “fresh cut” in the skinhead scene.

On February 25, 2002, the four of them, in two cars, drove to where Mathes was staying, Patrick armed with a large knife, Johnson with a baseball bat, and Gaines with a 12-gauge shotgun. When they confronted Mathes in a backyard, Gaines aimed the shotgun at him and told Johnson to take his kneecaps out with the baseball bat. He did so until Mathes fell down, with Jessica Nelson punching him in the face. When Mathes was on the ground, Gaines bashed his head repeatedly with the butt of the shotgun until Mathes was unconscious.

Patrick Bearup dragged Mathes to one of the cars and put him in the trunk. Again in two vehicles, one Patrick’s, they drove to a remote area in the mountains north of Phoenix. Johnson opened the trunk.

Patrick Bearup and Jessica Nelson tore Mathes’s clothes off of him, and Nelson noticed a ring on Mathes’s finger and told Patrick she wanted it. She and Patrick cut off Mathes’s finger to get the ring, while he was screaming. Gaines nailed him again in the head with the butt of the shotgun and silenced him.

Mathes’s body was dragged to a rail and thrown into a ravine, where Gaines shot him twice with the shotgun.

A year and a half later the four were arrested. Jessica Nelson and Jeremy Johnson copped pleas in exchange for their testimony against Patrick Bearup. Sean Gaines has yet to go to trial. Patrick was found guilty of capitol murder, but refused to present any mitigating evidence during the sentencing phase—evidence and testimony that could have kept him from being sentenced to death—because he maintained his innocence. Because of that, the judge had no choice but to sentence him to death.

Tom, Adele and Patrick Bearup all maintain Patrick’s innocence, and all swear that Patrick was in his parents’ home the night the murder occurred.

In a letter from prison, Patrick writes, “Do I deserve to be in prison? Probably, but not for any crime you would think. I deserve to be in prison because of my sins and because I knew the truth and chose not to live by it.”

In another letter, to a woman who emailed Tom Bearup asking about Patrick’s incarceration, he writes, “My choices in friends caught up to me and a person I knew saw me as a scape goat (sic). He killed a man, and used my last name to get 12 years in prison, versus a death sentence. Just by saying I was present when the man he killed died. I was not present when the man was killed!”

“My son is innocent,” Tom Bearup, a lawman for most of his life, says emphatically at his kitchen table in Soldotna. We know because he had to come into our house, he had to turn the alarm off. You know what the prosecutor said about that? He said, ‘that’s a theory.’ He said, ‘these are his parents, they basically would lie for him.’ He goes, ‘My theory is he never came home at all. He never spent the night in that bed.’”

“Patrick could’ve put in mitigating evidence that could have saved his life, and he could’ve been put on life in prison,” Adele Bearup says, tears welling in her eyes. “But you know what he said, ‘I didn’t commit this crime. I wasn’t there, so let the state kill me. My blood will be on their hands.’”

“He’s a cop’s kid,” Tom says. “They don’t invite cops kids to murders.”

Detective Matt Browning, of the Mesa, Arizona Police Department worked undercover infiltrating white supremacist and skinhead groups in Phoenix for years, and is familiar with Patrick Bearup’s case. He doesn’t buy the Bearups’ claims that Patrick was elsewhere that night. “If he wasn’t there the jury wouldn’t have convicted him,” he says. “At the time of the murder he was right in the thick of it.”

Tom and Adele pray and believe that Patrick will be exonerated and join them in Soldotna. But the reality of the situation does impinge on their hopes.

“We both have come to the conclusion, no matter what happens with Patrick, if they give him the death penalty and he does die through that system, we know that he’s saved. We have no doubt in that,” Adele says. “It will be a tragedy if they allow someone to kill him that way. How many people do you know that lose a child in a tragic situation? To us it’s tragic; it’s no different than someone killing our son.”

Patrick’s appeal is now in the hands of attorney Matthew Dew.

“The best we can hope for is a new trial,” he says. “If they uphold it, the next step would be post-conviction relief, for stuff that wasn’t done in the first trial—new witnesses, something like that. I think the biggest thing is the actual murderers were given sweet deals to testify against Patrick. We’ve got a guy standing there, maybe helped move the body, you want him to have the death penalty? You want to give the death penalty to the person who did the main killing.”

In Judge Warren Granville’s sentence, he notes that Johnson and Nelson escaped any threat of the death penalty with their pleas, although Nelson instigated the murder and Johnson participated in beating Mathes to death.

“Under the State’s theory of the case, Mr. Bearup acted only as support for Mr. Johnson as he baseball batted Mr. Mathis (sic) to death or near death, and helped drag Mr. Mathis to a car trunk and the desert. Under the State’s theory, Mr. Bearup’s act of cutting off Mr. Mathis’ ring finger while cruel and heinous, was not a cause of death.”

“This Court, nonetheless, finds that Mr. Bearup’s death penalty sentence for Count 1 was not justified in the context of relative responsibility of the co-defendants whom the County Attorney chose to withdraw the notices of death and reduce their sentencing range.

“It is the County Attorney’s motto that ‘let justice be done.’ This, of course, coincides with a prosecutor’s unique ethical responsibility. This Court finds that justice was not done for Mr. Bearup in Count 1.”

Patrick’s sentence of death came on February 2, 2007, Tom Bearup’s 60th birthday.

In 1975, Tom Bearup decided he wanted to die.

“I was sitting there drunk as a skunk in California, and I wanted to kill myself. I sat there with a gun to my head, and I was going to pull the trigger. I made a comment to myself, ‘Lord, if you’re really real, make yourself real to me,’ never expecting any sense of anything. All of a sudden I just had a peace about me. I put down the gun and I was stone sober.”

Shortly thereafter, he caught his first wife cheating on him, and decided he wanted as far away from Los Angeles as possible. Fresh out of the sheriff’s academy in L.A., he flew to Anchorage and got off the plane with $30 in his pocket. In the airport he saw a day-old newspaper with an ad for a job as a police officer in Soldotna. He applied and got the job.

Sitting in a restaurant named Gladys’s with a firefighter buddy, Tom saw a hot chick come in on the arm of another guy. “I’m going to marry that girl some day,” he remembers telling his friend. His friend laughed and said, “Yeah, everybody wants to marry her.”

Tom married Adele within the year. While a cop in Soldotna, Tom applied to be chief of police, but didn’t get the job. He looked into running for the city council, but says he never felt peaceful about that path. “I was just getting my life together with the Lord at that time. I rededicated my life to Christ. I told Adele, ‘I just don’t feel right with the city council.’ I went to my bedroom and I just prayed. And I felt a peace about running for mayor, and I ran. I ran and I won.”

Later on, the Bearups moved back to Phoenix—Tom’s hometown—and became active in their church. While Tom was still working in Arpaio’s administration they were accepted into the Arizona College of the Bible and became ordained ministers. The Bearups bought a church building in Phoenix and moved their family into the three small rooms, calling it Family Bible Fellowship.

In 2005, after the harassment at the hands of Joe Arpaio and the failed campaigns to replace him, Tom decided to move himself, Adele, and whichever children of his he could back up to Soldotna.

“This man is vicious, he’s evil, and I need to move,” Adele told Tom. “I love Alaska. Let’s go back. No one’s going to blame us; no one’s going to say you’re running away, you’re afraid.” Now, five of the Bearup’s nine children, along with their grandchildren, live in Alaska.

“We wanted to come back here a long time ago, but I didn’t want to have that feeling of not standing up for what I believed,” Tom says. “Because Joe would take it as weakness in me that I was running from him. I made a choice that hurt my family deeply, to walk out of there, and take them on head to head; tell them, ‘I’m not afraid of you guys, throw whatever you want at me’—and they have. They tried to destroy us. I loved law enforcement, but I hated the people I had to work with.”

Out in front of the Bearup’s house on the Sterling highway, the sign from their Phoenix church is propped up near the front door. It will be used again soon—they’re converting their garage on the 31-and-a-half acre spread into a church that will double as a child care center, and they plan on opening their home to unwed mothers.

“Most of the people that are going to come to our church are unchurched people,” Adele tells me. “They’re afraid to walk into a church; they’re people who want that second chance, people who are looking for something in their life.”

Patrick’s tribulations gave Tom and Adele Bearup an epiphany that would change the course of their lives. “Here Tom was a cop, we walk on this side, you arrest people, they’re guilty, they go to jail, you don’t associate with those kind of people,” Adele says. “And for my husband and I to start working with people in the community service area was an eye opener. ‘We’re the good people, they’re the bad people’—I found out that’s not true. We’ve learned compassion, we’ve learned giving to people that we would have never come across.”

Tom Bearup is on the board of the Kenai Peninsula Foundation, he’s on Soldotna’s cemetery committee, and he works with the Bridges Community Resource organization. But that’s not enough; he wants to use the remainder of his life helping others.

“I’m taking a perfectly good garage and making a church out of it,” he laughs. In the garage/church—still very much a work in progress—there is a pile of baby bassinets still unopened in one room, with mattresses and toys in packages beside it. This is the stockpile for the unwed mothers’ home the Bearups plan on opening.

“My motivation isn’t money; it’s not how great we are,” Tom says. “I’m not a televangelist. I’m just a guy that’s saved by God’s grace. If he allows me to help somebody else in their life in a positive fashion, then so be it, let’s go do it.”

So now the Bearups have some semblance of peace—a peace that they hope to share with others.

“My kids love it here,” Tom says. “We’re excited to be here. I’m with the love of my life. I get all my grandkids around me. And someday Joe Arpaio will die. And someday I hope that Dave Hendershott will be wearing his own pink shorts. And someday I pray that my son will walk out of there totally exonerated. I’ll be there standing by his side, as a proud father, saying, ‘Son, we walked through this Valley of Death together, and you’re home. The past is gone; it’s yesterday. Today we have a new day.’”
imnancy
MOD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many fond memories of Tom Bearup with MCSO. One that will always stand out is Tom Bearup in John C. Lincoln Hospital ER the night I was shot. He was also the only member of Command Staff that supported me through the incredible legal process related to the shooting! No one who has not been a victim of joe and company's viciously vindictive harrassment can understand what so many of us have suffered because we chose to stand against joe. My harrassment at their hands never reached the level of that against Tom and Coz, but it continues even now. I find myself laughing at it now because I know I have managed to do something that has upset joe.....one more time!
Coz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love ya Nancy....
imnancy
MOD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Coz! Always nice to know somebody loves me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sheriff Joe Arpaio Forum Forum Index -> Arpaio All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: